Monday, May 16, 2011

Allergic Reaction

Elizabeth is growing like a weed!  She now focuses on her hands.  I don't know if she knows they are attached to her yet, but she looks at them now.  She also makes coo and raspberry sounds as well as a happy (not quite giggly) sound when I tickle her neck.  Another thing - I now have to be careful where I place her because she can also roll on her side and push herself up so that her chest is lifted off the ground.  I just can't believe how fast she is growing.  How can she already be 3 months old?  Time has just flown by.


 Luke  has had a bit of bad luck this weekend.  On Saturday morning Josh and I noticed that he had a little bubble of fluid on his left ear.  Hmmm, that's weird.  We decided it was probably nothing and continued on with our day.  We went over to my brother Brandon's house.  When we arrived I took the kids out in the backyard to play.  That's when I noticed that there was definitely something wrong with Luke's ear.  It was not only a bubbly ear, but a bubbly, red and swollen ear.  I got a little nervous because the bubbly part of his ear reminded me of one of the signs of a brown recluse spider bite.
We decided to take him to Care Now to have them took a look at it.  Well, it turns out that Luke was bitten by some kind of bug, just not a brown recluse.  The doctor informed me that if it had been a brown recluse spider that had bitten him, there would have been a blackish brownish color to the bubble.  I felt like an idiot because once she said it, I could remember the picture in my health book showing exactly what a brown recluse spider bite looked like. So anyway, Luke was having an allergic reaction to the bite.  I was prescribed some cream to put on his ear along with some Benedril.  He's doing much better now.  I wish I would have taken a photo of his ear earlier, because this photo doesn't do it justice.  This photo is after an entire day of treatment.  I swear he looked like the elephant man before the doctors visit.


Bad Ear
Bad Ear
Good Ear

1 comment:

Elizabeth Reid said...

Poor little guy! That ear looks awful! I'm impressed you even thought of a brown recluse. I have no idea what spider bites look like.